Q: Where can a person find abortion pills?
Abortion in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy can be done safely using misoprostol alone (80-85% effective) or mifepristone plus misoprostol (95-98% effective). Abortion pills cause a miscarriage if used correctly.
In the United States:
- Misoprostol is available in pharmacies with a prescription. Misoprostol is used to prevent ulcers in people with conditions like arthritis that require them to take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medication long-term.
- Misoprostol is available from some internet veterinary supply stores and veterinarians, as it is used to treat ulcers and arthritis in dogs. It is also used by pet breeders who want to control animal pregnancies.
- Misoprostol is available over the counter in Mexico and many other Latin American countries. In Mexico, it is sold as misoprostol, Cyrux, and Cytotec.
- Online pharmacies in Canada sell misoprostol inexpensively, and there are reports that some may not require a prescription.
- Combination packs of mifepristone and misoprostol together are also available from online pharmacies. An October 2017 study that reviewed abortion pills bought from multiple online sources identified the relative reliability of both the sources and the pills themselves.
- The online abortion pill finder from Plan C offers information about online programs and sites that provide reliable abortion pills, including the cost and estimated delivery time. A person can input their state of residence and search under “self-managed options.” The cost of mifepristone plus misoprostol from these sites currently ranges from $105 to $470.
- If a person lives in Washington D.C., Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Montana, Oregon, New Mexico, New York, or Washington state, they may be able to receive abortion pills by mail through the TelAbortion Study. The Plan C abortion pill finder also lists other telemedicine programs where available, searchable by state.
If someone already has the medicines, SASS counselors are available to provide support before, during, or after using them. Emotional support is also available through the All-Options Talkline at 888-493-0092 (weekdays 10AM-1AM ET, weekends 10AM-6PM ET).